Last week, the College had the pleasure of having David and Kate Kobler from Your Choicez present to our students and parents about sex, dating and relationships.
Your Choicez deliver specialised programs that are tailormade for parents and students of different age groups. David and Kate have extensive backgrounds in youth work, youth communication and youth leadership. After working with young people for a number of years, they began to notice a common struggle amongst teenagers in the area of social media, sex, dating and relationships and developed their seminars to help support teenagers and parents navigate through these situations.
The couple delivered separate seminars to our boys and girls in Year 8 and 9 and David presented to the parents on Thursday Night. In the parent seminar David tackled issues that many parents feel uncomfortable discussing with their children. He presented current research, answered questions and offered tips and advice in a pastoral approach. The seminar was well attended and parents were treated to food and drinks provided by the P&C. The feedback from parents was overwhelmingly positive, and the school plans on making parent seminars, covering a range of topics, an annual occurrence.
The student seminars are designed to be gender-specific and target issues specifically related to adolescent boys and girls.
Topics covered include:
- How online choices can affect their friendships and current or future relationships.
- Strategies as for how to have positive interactions both on- and offline.
- Evaluating the impact of social media and the way it can be affecting their understanding of themselves and the way they view relationships.
- Developing an understanding of empathy and the role it can play in online and offline relationships.
- Discussing sexting and developing an understanding of terminologies such as image-based abuse, sexual harassment and coercion.
- Understanding the impact of pornography on young people and educating, empowering and equipping them to make positive choices in response to it.
The student seminars form one aspect of the College’s holistic program for developing respectful and responsible men and women. Later in the year the College will have pastoral days, leadership days and retreats for each year group, as well as have the people from Tomorrow Man and Tomorrow Woman come and deliver workshops for our Year 10 and Year 11 students.
If you have any question with regards to Your Choicez, please contact Mr Adrian Correia on 9144 1081 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.