Rio Tinto is offering students in Year 10, 11 and 12 the opportunity to gain work experience with the Iron Ore Ports Division through their Student Vacation Program.
Selected students will work an 8-hour day, Monday to Friday for a two week period. There are two blocks of employment available:
- Block 1: 30 November – 11 December 2020 (Year 11 & 12 students ONLY)
- Block 2: 11 – 22 January 2021 (Year 10, 11 & 12)
Vacation employment opportunities are available in the following areas:
- Service and support roles such as Health & Safety, Administration, Environmental, Engineering and Marine.
- Operational roles such as Workshop / Trades Assistant and Fixed Plant.
Applications open 17 August 2020 and close on the 6 September 2020. To apply, students will need to:
- Complete a registration for employment with WorkPac.
- Prepare and send a cover letter detailing areas or roles of employment that are of interest to you and provide a copy of a most recent school report.
Mrs Carol Potter will hold a meeting with students that are interested at RECESS on Monday, 17 August (next week), students are encouraged to check SEQTA notices for updates. Student Vacation Program packs will be available to those who attend the meeting.
Students who are interested in any of the above positions, are encouraged to start with some research in the job area and work on their cover letter. Students can make use of their English teacher and Mrs Potter for assistance. The team at the Jobs & Skills Centre (based at the TAFE) are also available to assist students, it’s a free service. Students can either email their cover letter or pop in one afternoon after school for support.
VET / Careers Coordinator